The Lowdown on Bridesmaids Duties
We have put together a list of bridesmaids duties and what is expected in a bridesmaid role. Some of it is a bit tongue in cheek, but expect the unexpected!
Before the Wedding – Definite ‘Must Do’ Bridesmaid Duties
- Go with the B2B on numerous shopping trips whilst she chooses her wedding dress and accessories and say the ‘chosen one’ is the absolute best.
- Try on umpteen bridesmaid’s dresses, short and long, different styles and colours, until the B2B decides on the one She likes.
- Arrange the hen weekend/night – send out the hen invites, collect the money, get the other hen’s to help buy the various silly outfits you will all be wearing for the occasion, and hold her head the next morning when it hurts. Don’t forget the pain killers.
The Wedding Day
- Arrive early (!) at the place where the B2B is getting ready for her big day. Help her get ready with hair, make-up, getting into the bridal gown.
- Be sure to have a bottle of champagne on ice to calm her nerves (and yours)
- Essential bridesmaids duties include organising the wedding day emergency kit to hand for those last minute panics – tissues, headache pills, lipstick, mascara, rescue remedy, sanitary wear (just in case).
- Help the younger bridesmaids and flowergirls get ready
- Check the bouquets have arrived
- Leave before the bride with the other bridesmaids
- Follow the bride down the aisle, lift her veil and look after the bouquet
- Sign the register
- Go down the aisle with the best man
- Make sure the other bridesmaids are in the right place for the photographs
At the Reception
- Join the receiving line to welcome the guests
- Make sure the guest book does the rounds for the silly comments
- Ensure that any wedding gifts are safe and secure
- Dance with the best man
- Dance with any guests that look a little left out – even if it is a knees-up with a 90 year old.
- Request some ‘blasts from the pasts’ from the DJ to keep the party going
- Help the bride change into her going away outfit
After the Wedding
- Return any items that were hired
- Look after any wedding items until the couple return from their honeymoon.